The date of construction of the original building is from 1933. We have chosen to develop a concept whereby the existing building is retained intact, and the intervention solidifies the presence of this old structure. Although the original building was a shop and residence which was architecturally unremarkable, we believe that it is a noble exercise to retain where possible existing sections of Fremantle’s History, (albeit whether listed on the Heritage register or not).
We have sought to achieve this in a manner which draws parallels with the handling of other projects in Fremantle (eg. Woolstores, Beach Street), whereby a juxtaposition of old and new reinforces the value of historic building itself.
As such, all interiors of the existing a preserved as they are.
Externally we have adopted an approach whereby an additional storey is lowered on the existing fabric and structurally ‘bridges over’ the rear (lean-to construction), leaving the existing building fabric intact. We believe that the old-new dynamic successfully combines new functionality, strong urban design principles and a respect for the community in which it stands, especially if compared to a typical demolition/ new-build scenario which has occurred in other situations in past years.
We are respectful of the existing urban fabric of South Fremantle and surrounding historic cityscape. In terms of reducing the perceived scale of the development we have utilised the device of the contemporary addition clearly separated as a loft-style element on an existing older building.